Monday, April 13, 2009

Whole Lotta Baseball

It's been a rough first week of the season, with the Angels' Nick Adenhart dying last week, and then the Phillies' Hall-of-Fame announcer Harry Kalas died today after collapsing in the Nationals' press box in Washington. I hate to admit it, but after watching Vin Scully throw out the first pitch for the Dodgers earlier today, I just can't see myself watching or listening to them as much as I do if he wasn't calling the game. I certainly don't listen to them on the radio past the third inning, when Charley Steiner and Rick Monday take over, and when the Dodgers are on the road, I rarely listen to Steiner and Steve Lyons. It's just not the same.

But in perusing today's early box scores during lunch, I noticed that the Pirates' Zach Duke threw 120 pitches in a 7-0 CG /SHO over Houston. 120 pitches? In his second start of the season? Yikes. Who's the Pittsburgh manager again? John Russell - I actually had to look it up. But considering Duke went 5-14 last year, I somehow don't think Russell really wanted to burn up all Duke's wins this early, but hey, what do I know?

UPDATE - What the hell!!! Now I see former Tiger Rookie-of-the-Year Mark "The Bird" Fidrych died today in an accident on his farm in Massachusetts. And Orlando Hudson just hit for the cycle, the first time a Dodger's done it since Wes Parker did it in 1970. THAT'S why I like listening to Vin Scully.

2 comments:

  1. Need to see if I can find an audio stream of the Scully cycle call. Would love to hear how he described it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to the "Video Highlights" here:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=la&c_id=la

    ReplyDelete