Monday, March 30, 2009

Road Trippin'

Last Friday night, I needed to get from work in Santa Monica (Point A) out to a friend's house in Arcadia (Point B). Normally this should take about 45 minutes - it's 33 miles - but on this particular Friday, every single freeway route I could have taken was completely jammed up. Not like that's anything new in L.A. but still . . .

So I Google-Mapped a route that avoided the freeways completely, and long story short, I drove through parts of the city I had never been through before. Granted, it still took two hours door-to-door, but I grew up here, and after a 15-year hiatus, moved back nearly two years ago, and still saw things in person for the first time, like this Broadway Avenue bridge that crosses the Los Angeles River.

I'm not a huge fan of driving; I think the claims of a car being "fun to drive" are a bunch of hooey, especially here in L.A. But every once in a while, I like driving a route where there's interesting stuff to look at . . . just so long as it doesn't take me longer than two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment