Monday, March 23, 2009

Childhood Books




I cringed when I saw that Beverly Cleary's Beezus and Ramona and Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are are being made into movies because children's books rarely translate well from the page to the screen. - witness the disastrous Dr. Seuss live-action films with Jim Carrey and Mike Myers.

But my childhood memories were pleasantly jarred when I read that The Hungry Caterpillar was celebrating its 40th anniversary. It was one of the first books I can remember reading as a child, though I don't remember if I actually owned the book or it was from the library. Mom still has pictures of me at the library sitting on a carpet square listening to story hour - and I'll always be grateful to her for allowing and encouraging me to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment