Thursday, February 18, 2010

Uncle Hans

I lost my Uncle Hans yesterday, just 10 days short of his 70th birthday. He went into the hospital for a (supposedly) simple surgery, but didn't make it through.

I spent the bulk of the day yesterday with my Aunty Lou and cousin John, first at the hospital, and then at their respective homes, but I had little of value to say to them. We just tried to get logistical details for this weekend's memorial worked out, but even that seemed just . . . surreal.

After last year, where it seemed like we were going to a funeral, memorial, or remembrance almost once a month, John and I talked about how we wanted a do-over for 2009 and hoped 2010 would be better, but now it seems like this year is picking up where the last one ended.

I'll miss you, Uncle Hans. I'll miss your accent, and how you pronounced certain words in that unmistakable way. I'll miss your hugs, and I'll really miss you calling me your "favorite nephew."

Give Aunt Helen, Aunt Judy, and my Grandmas and Grandpas a hug for me . . .

Love,
Your Favorite Nephew

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Tom :( Sending you all my best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this, sir. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tom. I love you, and dad definitely did to...

    your brother from another mother,

    John

    ReplyDelete