Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lake Elsinore with Friends Old and New











I should preface that heading by saying that my friend Cori is most certainly NOT old, nor would I even dream of implying such a thing. But when you were in the same kindergarten class way back in 19-(mumble, mumble) and continued in the same classes through elementary, junior high, and high school, I would say that she qualifies as an old friend.

It is rather remarkable, that even though we hadn't seen each other since high school graduation, we talked and laughed like we used to when Cori sat behind me in English. . . . except we got in trouble back then . . . but I digress.

Cori was kind enough to bring her son Chris, his friend Drake, and her sister-in-law Jen to our mini-reunion; we all met at the Lake Elsinore Diamond to watch the hometown Storm (Class-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres) take on the San Jose Giants. We tailgated before the game, and Cori, Jen, Chris and Drake were all very complimentary of the pepper jack-stuffed burgers topped with caramelized onions . . . I know that I certainly would have turned my nose up at such non-traditional fare when I was 10, so props to both boys for tucking in with such gusto.

The game was rather uneventful, as was the stadium, with the exception of the wireframe statues at the front entrance. They were a little hard to photograph, especially at dusk, but were a nice artistic addition to what's a rather bland little field. What was spectacular though, was the moonrise over the mountains of the San Bernardino National Forest beyond the right field wall - you can see it peeking over the top of the mountain just below the middle light standard in the panoramic photo at the top (click on the photo to enlarge it).

So many thanks to Cori, not only for the tickets, but for introducing me to Jen and the boys . . . and also for all the laughter. It's amazing, that after graduating from high school in a time without cell phones, e-mail, or even the internet in general, we can reconnect and pick up right where we left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment