Thursday, May 28, 2009

Noise vs. Cool



With the move now complete (just waiting on the return of my security deposit from the distant outpost of Camarillo) I can start re-exploring my old / new neighborhood and pay more attention to this here little corner of the interwebs.

My new apartment is very close to work (8-9 miles, depending on which route I take) but is also very close to LAX and its related noise; witness the view from my balcony in this video clip:




But this morning, I turned on one of the local news shows and they were doing a live remote from LAX as President Obama was getting on Air Force One to leave; he was in town for a big fund raiser yesterday. "Hmm," I thought to myself, "I wonder if I could see the plane." Sure enough, I opened up my sliding balcony door and saw the big 747 taxi down the runway, turn around, and take off. Not having my good camera handy, I managed to grab a quick picture with my cell phone - not great, but enough to see the distinctive blue and white paint scheme.

I've been to enough air shows and museums to see my fair share of cool aircraft - seeing a B-2 stealth bomber come growling out of the fog at the Joint Services Open House at Andrews Air Force Base in D.C. is my favorite, along with clambering about the Enola Gay at the Smithsonian's preservation and restoration facility before it went on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center. But seeing Air Force One in person and knowing the president was aboard ranks pretty high on the cool quotient for a random Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment